Saturday, September 4, 2010

Dizzee Rascal - Boy In Da Corner

Title: Boy In Da Corner
Artist: Dizzee Rascal
Year: 2003
Had since: 2007
How I got it: the Internet
Why I have it: Boy In Da Corner was one of the best-reviewed albums of the past decade. It's got a score of 92 on Metacritic and was included in several "best albums of the 00s" list. As a rap fan and a person who sometimes compulsively checks out things that receive all the critical acclaim, I had to get around to it eventually.

It's easy to see why people were so taken with it at the time. Rascal was 17 years old when he made it, and his flow -- ridiculous thick British accent and all -- certainly would've stood out among either the mainstream or underground of rap. And he was clearly talented. This ain't no SouljahBoyTellEm-type juvenile garbage. It's dark and weird and once in a while, it's funky.

I guess I just don't see what the big deal is. I hear a good hip hop album by a young dude who probably has more talent than restraint. But not one of the best albums of the last decade. Something about it lacks memorability. I doubt that very many people are still going to regard it as a classic ten years from now. It's enjoyable from time to time, but 92 on Metacritic? Really?

No comments: