Thursday, September 2, 2010

Dinosaur Jr. - You're Living All Over Me

(Editor's note: It's too time-consuming trying to lump all these CDs together, plus it's unfair to the artists. I'm going one disc per post now. Here's how I'm going to profile them.)

Title: You're Living All Over Me
Artist: Dinosaur Jr.
Year: 1987
Had since: 2005
How I got it: Borders
Why I have it: Always wanted to hear it. This album was impossible for me to find until it was reissued by Merge Records in 2005. I first heard of Dinosaur Jr. when I was in my second semester of college (this was 2001).

I remember thinking the name was cool, but I had no idea how appropriate it was. They were a band simultaneously ahead of their time and behind it. Later bands like Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins and My Bloody Valentine copped their sound and aesthetic, while their songwriting style and guitar effects owed a debt to Neil Young, who's been old forever.

Back in 1987, reviving obsolete sounds wasn't considered fashionable. Dinosaur Jr. combined hippie-ish folk pop tendencies with bad acid-trip guitar pyrotechnics and the depressive vibe of goth and in the process became one of the most influential bands of the alternative/indie era. Everything old really is new again.



No comments: