Sunday, May 29, 2011

By the numbers

This is a writing exercise I found in this book I'm reading. It's where you create a list of numbers of things that apply to you, and in the end you're supposed to have a portrait of who you are or something. Let's go.

Number of times I woke up from a dream only to find myself in another dream last night: 3
Percentage of playoff basketball games I watched in the past week: 100
Number of songs in my iPod: 5780
Percentage of songs in my iPod I'm actually familiar with: ~46
Pictures I took at the beach yesterday: 15
Views of my most-ever-watched youtube video: 640
Different shades of color my son's hair has had in the year since he was born: 4
Times my facebook statuses were about basketball in the past week: 5
Odds I would set for Dallas defeating Miami in the Finals: 1-6
Number of times I spent New Year's away from home: 3
How sure I am that I want to name my daughter either "Dallas" or "Maverick" if they DO beat Miami: 1000%
Number of books I've read in the past year that feature Hobbits: 3
Age when I first learned how to whistle: 1
Age I taught myself to play guitar: 15
Number of problems that I have that are not a bitch: 99
People who read this blog that will get that joke: 1, maybe

4 comments:

Wendy McMillan said...

I am sooo confused. This helps your writing how? This merely reinforces your OCDness about compiling lists of things that only you care about.

Wendy McMillan said...

Also I don't know how you calculated those percentages but there is no way in hell we are using Dallas or Maverick.

Jacob I. McMillan said...

I should've explained this better. There's this thing called "Harper's Index" that's just an assortment of random facts about the United States, in numbered form. The writing exercise is to create your own personal Harper's Index. Which is supposed to help with viewpoint or characters or something.

Austin said...

there's a short story or flash fiction story called Subtotals by Gregory Burnham. He lists things in his life by number which has the effect of telling you something about his character without actually telling you things about his character. In a writing class we had to write our own list of "Subtotals."

Because it's so short and because you didn't ask, here's a link to the story so you can see what I mean.

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/general-discussion/31015-what-do-you-make-flash-fiction.html

Incidentally, I think we all would love to see a Jacob Jake version of Subtotals.