Thursday, January 8, 2009

some Oscar predictions - don't mind me

BEST PICTURE

Milk
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Slumdog Millionaire
The Wrestler
The Dark Knight

BEST DIRECTOR

Gus Van Sant, Milk
David Fincher, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Darren Aronofsky, The Wrestler
Danny Boyle, Slumdog Millionaire
Kelly Reichardt, Wendy and Lucy

BEST ACTOR

Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight
Sean Penn, Milk
Philip Seymour Hoffman, Doubt
Mickey Rourke, The Wrestler
Josh Brolin, W.

BEST ACTRESS (one of the first two will win)

Michelle Williams, Wendy and Lucy
Anne Hathaway, Rachel Getting Married
Cate Blanchett, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Kate Winslet, Revolutionary Road
Sally Hawkins, Happy-Go-Lucky

BEST SCREENPLAY

Burn After Reading, Joel and Ethan Coen
Synecdoche, New York, Charlie Kaufman
Milk, Dustin Lance Black
The Wrestler, Robert Siegel
Vicky Christina Barcelona, Woody Allen

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

The Dark Knight, Christopher and Jonathan Nolan
Slumdog Millionaire, Simon Beaufoy
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Eric Roth
Doubt, John Patrick Shanley
Frost/Nixon, Peter Morgan

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Frank Langella, Frost/Nixon
Josh Brolin, Milk
Brad Pitt, Burn After Reading
Emile Hirsch, Milk
Robert Downey Jr., Tropic Thunder

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

I don't know. Pick whoever you like.

BEST DOCUMENTARY

Man on Wire
I.O.U.S.A.
Encounters at the End of the World
Surfwise
Bigger Stronger Faster

BEST ANIMATED

WALL-E will win, who cares

Everything else: who cares.

6 comments:

Amalie said...

are those the actual nominations? have you seen milk? what was your favorite movie last year? So many questions, I know.

Jacob I. McMillan said...

The actual nominations haven't been announced yet. I'll see Milk when it comes to the dollar theatre, probably. My favorite movie of last year was probably The Fall. You & Nick should watch that one. It's rated R, but there's no reason why it should be. The Dark Knight was really good too, but don't tell Wendy I said that.

Thanks for some great questions!

Anonymous said...

I heard that.

Amalie said...

haha. I just read your comment. anyway now that the noms are officially out here are my predictions:
best picture- S M
Best actor- mickey rourke
best actress - anne hathaway mostly because I like her.
supp actor- health ledger duh.
supp actress- marisa tomei
director- gus van sant
original screenplay - milk
adapted screenplay - S M
thoughts?

Jacob I. McMillan said...

I'm not so sure Hathaway is gonna win anymore. Now I think they might give it to Kate Winslet. Marissa Tomei has already won an Oscar, but none of her contenders seem like sure winners either. I still think they'll give BP to Milk, but if they don't it'll definitely be Slumdog.

By the way, here's my scorecard in terms of predicting the nominees:

Picture: 3/5
Director: 3/5
Actor: 2/5
Actress: ONE/5 (I suck)
Supporting actor: 2/5
Original screenplay: 1/5 (IN BRUUUUUUGES)
Adapted screenplay: 4/5 (Damn you The Reader!)
Documentary: 2/5

Notes: My picks stand, except now I think Frost/Nixon will win Best Adapted cause it sure as hell isn't winning much else. I put Langella in Best Supporting because I didn't want to see him lose to Mickey Rourke. I DID want Heath Ledger to lose to Rourke, so I put him in Best Actor. IMO, the winners SHOULD be Rourke/Langella. I mean the Joker is an awesome character, but even HE'D be scared of Nixon. Plus it's a drag when dead people win awards.

Amalie said...

I agree, it is a drag when dead people when because what can you say as the loser? hathaway seems to be always the bridesmaid never the bride this year. frost/nixon sounds interesting. maybe i'll rent the dvd